Too Feathered Too Furry

To be honest.. this is the first time I've used ostrich Herl feathers.
It does remind me of some kinda large sized marabou, but then quite a bit stiffer..
This Pike fly is a little bit based on those fantastic feathered fur and widow angel streamers from Simon Graham.
So I've got to credit this great fly tier as well, who shares a lot fly tying skills with us.

It was a pleasant to tie this one up.. so I'm really looking forward to cast out this fly within the next few days!

I've used the same basic principles as Simon did in his Widow-angel-streamer-tutorial. but added a single fin racoon strip as a tail -with tail guard- instead of schlappen feathers. (Gave it slightly my own interpretation.)

Each subsequent layer was given a dubbing loop of arctic fox and then the ostrich herl on top of that.
I've used three colors of Herl; golden olive/green olive/tan brown, and matching it with the coloring of the arctic fox fur.

By using accents you can bring back the color which's related to the tail and head.
Accents I used: (Purple in this case)
-Salt water flashabou.
-Guinea fowl feathers.
-Grizzly barred saddles.

Some ornamental pics:


Because if the..

Pike ladies are done..
with it..
than.. that chance is permanently gone for ever! ;-}


The Fat Bastard_Wool heads. (''The try out story'')

I've received a warm welcome, within the pike fly scene in the past week.
Many thanks for that guys!
Haven't spent much time behind my vise the past days, so i'm gonna display another two recently tied flies related to my first post.

This two were my first attempt to stack the synthetic fibers, after some roughly trimming i soon find out that it wasn't so hard to get a decent shape out of it.

Left picture left hand roughly trimmed, on the right side the 'uncut' rough shape.
the thread i've like to use is the same as for spinning my dear hair flies, a UNI Cord GSP 12/0 50 denier.

The purple one was given a swim tail, made of a similar kinda tube material as for instance E-Z Flex.
Tail is in line secured with an 1mm (1/25.4) fluorocarbon, and the front end is tied off with a roll back technique.
Just for the fun of it, added a glass rattler on to the FC, it's very easy to do.. just slide on a remainder piece of large mylar cord and.. packed it tightly as a candy!  (Don't forget to cure it to secure it.)

The orange one is kept far more easily regarding the tail section, Just tied in two rabbit strips which gives it a more ''old skool'' Pike fly look.
Right picture.. now i don't know how to call that. (Sometimes size does matter you know.. just ask her when you catch her.)

About the hook.. I use all kind of hooks in all kind of sizes, for this particular type of synthetic woolhead, it seems that the Predator X size 8/0 does a pretty good job.

Some sphere images, just for the fun of it.

Happy fly tying to all of ya and have a nice week!


First post

My Blog.. it's out there in the open... never really had the time to do so.. but i guess you just have to start at a given moment. Feel free to hop on board!

First post: The Fat Bastard Woolhead.
I once read a forum/topic discussion.. they discussed about the possibilities regarding deer hair patterns like spots stripes etc.
Those patterns that can be made with deer hair couldn't be done with natural or synthetic wools.
personally i always try to see which things can be done with it whether than can't be done with it.
This head is built up from tightly packed synthetic wool layers.
I have try to use the same principle here as some deer hair specialist would/could do on fly tying symposium's.

Well I gave it a shot anyway..

It's take time for me to get used to this blogger posting.. so please be patience with me everyone.